Monday, February 6, 2012

The Guilt Trips

Of course the only time (in a long time) I turn on the Today Show they have a so-called expert who knocks medicating your AD/HD child. Saying it's (as always) the parent's fault that the child cannot sit still, concentrate, not genetics. I get really tired of seeing stuff like this on the television. No one who doesn't know first hand is or has a child with AD/HD can tell me that they know more about it than I do, period.

AD/HD runs in my family. It has to be genetic or why else would so many of my family members be living with the diagnosis? My child cannot remember simple instructions like go and let the dog out. He'll stop and say, "What was I supposed to do?" Just this morning he has already (just now) gotten side tracked by something he was supposed to do for me. 

Why do you medicate your child with powerful stimulant drugs if you are homeschooling? I have seen this question on forums, in books, on blogs, and many other places. Plain and simple I wasted a whole year trying to teach a child who was out of control, could not sit down to do his work, was easily irritated, and could often be violent toward us and our pets. When I started medicating him with the lowest dose possible for his size his concentration was better and the meltdowns were fewer. For his and our safety and for him to succeed we went this route. He now loves to do math and sits down and finishes a whole lesson. What took us the entire day to do now takes an hour to an hour-and-a-half tops. He can memorize violin music and we found that he is a great little performer.

A note about the diet: I have lost 8 pounds on the Dukan diet. It's not easy but it's the first diet I have been on where I am not hungry and I don't have to count calories just eat what is on the list and exercise. I haven't been able to lose the extra weight I gained since I was 40 not matter what I tried. 12 more pounds to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment