Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Homeschooling Documentary

Thank you Natalie and Laurie for sharing the link and YouTube trailer for this documentary.  How do you guys find such great stuff?  I can't wait to see this when it's finished. Go to www.3StoryFilms.com for more information and how you can help.  The documentary is focused on three American families on their quest to educate their children outside the school system.

We are half way through our first year of homeschooling.  So far I am very impressed with how much my kids have learned and improved.  My Son couldn't read a story fluently then after a couple of months he was reading like an adult (leading me to wonder what it was that he actually learned last year in third grade).  My Daughter can read really well and is really enjoying math.  My son is learning division this week.

I am using time4learning.com and Saxon math for both kids.  I have opted for  more self directed learning and they are really doing well.  I am always there to help when they get stuck.  We are attending homeschool co-ops, scouts, dance, karate, and music lessons.  Formally they are educated in math, language arts, science, and social studies.

I have a puppy that was really good about eliminating outdoors and now is not.  He can make it through the night in his crate without an accident.  It seems as though if I'm not watching him no one is, and he is supposed to be my Son's responsibility.  Thankfully we have time to train a puppy.  My carpet is taking a beating though.  I woke up this morning to my dachshund in my face he was really excited (unusual as he is the biggest couch potato ever).  I got up and the back door was wide open and it was absolutely freezing outside.  Smart dog he let me know something was wrong, I am so impressed.  None of these dogs want to go outside in the cold.

Take a look at the trailer for the movie, and visit the website.  

No comments:

Post a Comment